Kittens are experts at hiding any discomfort they may have, so it can be difficult for cat owners to tell if their feline friend has a health problem until it evolves into a serious situation. Wouldn’t it be nice to know at a glance if your cat is starting to get sick? Pretty Litter is a product that can help you identify certain health issues just by looking in the litter box. It changes color in response to abnormalities in the pH of your cat’s urine or if blood is present. Plus, it’s lighter than regular kitty litter, and it lasts a full month before you need to change it (with regular pickups, of course).
Our score for Pretty Litter
About Pretty Litter
Pretty Litter is a type of kitty litter that you use in place of the litter that you currently use. It is made up of natural minerals, including silica gel. There is less dust than in traditional litter boxes, so if you tend to cough every time you change your cat’s litter box, this could be the solution. The main appeal, however, is that it helps you monitor your cat’s health by changing color when the cat has too much acid, too much alkalinity, or blood in its urine.
Pretty Litter is delivered right to your door, so you don’t need to carry a heavy bag or box home. It is also light. Each month you will receive a new box of Pretty Litter. Simply empty it into your clean kitty litter and it’s ready to go. You will know when your cat will be using the box as the litter will change color depending on the pH of your cat’s urine. If anything looks abnormal based on the colors appearing, you should contact your vet. If your cat is acting normally and doesn’t have chronic health problems, it’s usually normal to wait 24 to 48 hours to see if the color change persists. if your cat has any pre-existing symptoms or health issues, you should call immediately.
Solid waste should always be picked up quickly, but the urine can simply be mixed into the litter once you’ve noticed the color. The odor is absorbed by the silica and the litter will not stay wet or clump together. Each month you completely empty the contents of the box into the trash, wash your litter as you normally do, dry it thoroughly, and replace the litter with a new packet of Pretty Litter.
There are certain features that make Pretty Litter stand out from other cat litters available on the market.
- Delivered to your door every month
- You can customize the quantity delivered according to the number of cats you have
- Lightweight and easy to take
- Made of natural materials including silica
- Less dust than traditional bedding
- Monitors the health of your cat’s urine by changing color
- Does not retain urine odors
- Less pickup needed
What we liked
Here are some of the features we love about Pretty Litter.
- Delivered monthly. No need to worry about forgetting to put kitty litter on the grocery list or not knowing if the store isn’t part of the brand you usually buy. Once you’ve signed up for a subscription, you can count on having it delivered to your door on a regular basis.
- Allows you to monitor your cat’s health. Several different health issues (urinary tract infections, body inflammation, kidney problems, digestive issues) can cause changes in your cat’s urine. You can spot them quickly, maybe even before your cat starts showing symptoms, if you use this kitty litter.
- Easy to clean. Just like you would with your current litter box, you need to pick up solid waste as soon as possible. For urine, however, you can simply stir it around in the box and it will dissipate without causing an odor. Plus, the monthly delivery will let you know when it’s time to completely change the cat litter box.
- Excellent odor control. Silica gel is great for absorbing not only moisture, but odor as well, so you won’t smell your cat’s litter box on the 3rd or 30th day.
- Less dust. If the dust from your cat’s current litter box bothers you when you change the box, this should be an improvement, as Pretty Litter is less dusty. Plus, the litter is odorless, so you won’t have to struggle with a strong scent.
What we didn’t like
Like all products, Pretty Litter is not perfect. Here are a few things we don’t like so much.
- Does not clump together. If you are used to clumping litter it will be different and you may need to get used to the lump free nature of this kitty litter.
- It might not last all month. If your cat is very wet, you may find that you need to add or replace the litter box more frequently than every 30 days. You can add an extra cat to your order to get an extra bag or two, then reset your membership to the number of cats you actually have. This way you will have a bag in reserve just in case.
- More expensive than traditional cat litter. It will cost more than just buying kitty litter at the grocery store. However, it does have the health benefit of monitoring your cat’s urine pH, and it comes delivered to your door, so you pay for these extra features.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Pretty Litter made of?
Pretty Litter is made from dehydrated silica gel. It also contains the ingredients needed to show changes in your cat’s urine pH and to detect blood in the urine.
Is Pretty Litter disposable on the hunt?
You do not have to rinse Pretty Litter. Instead, throw it in a garbage bag. You can dump your cat’s solid waste, however, as the amount of Pretty Litter adhering to it won’t be enough to cause plumbing problems in most cases. If you are unsure (if you have older pipes or a septic tank, for example), it is best to check with your plumber before rinsing your cat’s waste or just tossing it in a garbage bag. to be sure.
Can you mix Pretty Litter with regular litter?
No, you should not mix Pretty Litter with regular litter. You will not be able to see the color changes if you mix it with another type of litter. Also, if the other litter clumps together, it will create a mess when mixed with the Pretty Litter, which will not clump together.
Can Pretty Litter be picked up?
Solid waste can be collected, but urine does not collect in Pretty Litter. It will disintegrate back into a powder once the moisture evaporates. Just stir it to help it dissipate, and you won’t see or feel it.
It’s a good idea to look at both positive and negative customer reviews when considering making any type of purchase. We’ve compiled a few informative reviews from each to get you started.
Positive reviews for Pretty Litter tended to focus on the lack of smell and ease of use.
I have two cats and I am obsessed with the cute litter box. There is no smell unless I wait too long to clean it. I use a little more than what they recommend so it lasts a full month. I add a bag and a half to each litter box (two boxes, two cats). People here complain that urine collects at the bottom, but if you stir the litter once a day, it doesn’t collect at all. The only downside to this litter is that it follows quite poorly. But I have a robot vacuum that picks it up easily every day. I will never go back to another litter. – Mjb, 01/01/2019, Amazon
I didn’t want it like this kitty litter mostly because it was expensive and I didn’t think I had enough to fill a litter box. So I used it for the upstairs litter box and the bottom litter box is regular kitty litter. The kitty litter downstairs smells bad and should be picked up daily. The pretty litter box, I haven’t had to change it at all since installation. It is actually very good and there is hardly any smell. I figured it was worth it not to have to worry about people going into my bathroom and smelling “cat”. Also, if you do the math, I would spend about $ 20 or so every week and a half on regular litter. – Rochelle, 06/29/2019, Amazon
Unfortunately, not all Pretty Litter users were happy. The main problem is that it can be tracked around the house, and one bag may not last a full month.
I ordered Pretty Litter and found that I would have to buy more than one litter bag to continue with this product which is just not feasible. I was unable to cancel the order and cannot get a refund now that it has been shipped. Considering the price of this litter and all the amazing reviews on the website, I would have expected better customer satisfaction guarantees from this company. Never again. -Miranda, 04/11/2019, Better Business Bureau
I love the concept and really wanted it to work. The good points are that this is very low dust and this litter does not follow like clay litter. It’s also a lot less maintenance if it works.
I don’t see how it can last a month. I have 2 cats and I had 2 liter cans when I bought this liter but they only used one can. So I went to 1 box because they weren’t touching the second box. Anyway, the litter box does not last 1 week for 2 cats. It lasts on average about 5 days. So for me to use this litter box with 2 cats, I had to buy 5 bags to get me through 1 month. After a few days it becomes too saturated. And my god, it smells once saturated.
I mean, definitely give it a try, but be aware that you’ll probably need more than what they recommend. – Jenny, 03/26/2020, Amazon
Overall, Pretty Litter is a great product to use if you’re looking for a way to keep tabs on your cat’s health. It’s also very convenient, as it will arrive at your doorstep every month with your continuing subscription. The litter box itself absorbs odors well and is easy to use and clean. Unfortunately, it tends to be tracked around the house more than traditional bedding, and you might need more than the company delivers each month. We think it’s worth trying to see if it’s the right choice for you and your furry friend.
If you’re looking for other ways to keep your kitty litter clean, check out our list of the best self-cleaning litter boxes as well as the best kitty litter boxes.
Other animal reviews that you may be interested in:
The best dog food storage
The best bows for pets
The best dog bike trailer
The best terrarium humidifier for reptiles
The best shoes for dogs
Top Rated Dog Wheelchairs
The best cat house
The best bird cages
The best dog plush toys for aggressive chewers
The best incubators for hatching eggs