You’ve probably heard of CBD or cannabidiol, but what can it do for dogs and how much should you give them? CBD is an active ingredient in the marijuana plant, which appears to have medical benefits and is not psychoactive, so don’t let your dog feel stoned. Some pet parents are concerned about the correct dosage of CBD for dogs, but determining how much to give your dog is not difficult, as long as you know his weight.
While there aren’t many studies yet on the effects of CBD on dogs, some pet owners hail it as a wonder drug, making a huge difference to the quality of life of their dogs.
Why Do Dogs Need CBD?
Charlotte’s Web Full Spectrum CBD Oil for Dogs
A highly effective CBD oil offering 17 mg per serving.
Check the price
If you are wondering whether or not CBD is right for your pet, here are some of the conditions for which CBD might be useful, although there are varying degrees of research to back them up.
- Anxiety. Some products are even specifically marketed as painkillers, such as these HolistaPet CBD Dog Treats + Stress & Anxiety Relief.
- Arthritis. A study from Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine suggests that CBD products reduce pain from arthritis and increase levels of movement.
- Noise phobias. Many dogs are afraid of loud noises, such as those produced by fireworks and thunderstorms, but CBD shows a calming effect which can decrease dogs’ reaction to these sounds.
- Epilepsy. In a study from Colorado State University, researchers found that 89% of dogs given CBD in their clinical trial had a reduction in the number of seizures they had.
- Loss of appetite. CBD can stimulate appetite, but if your dog isn’t eating a lot, it’s best to try it in liquid form (like Charlotte’s Web Full Spectrum CBD Oil for Dogs), rather than as a treat. that your dog may well refuse.
- General pain. CBD seems to be a good general pain reliever, so if your dog is suffering from any type of pain, you may want to try CBD for relief. It’s very safe overall, but we recommend that you consult your dog’s vet first, especially if the pain persists and you are unsure of the source.
- Hot spots. If your dog is prone to hot spots or skin irritation, a topical CBD treatment may help. In fact, NaturVet Hemp Hot Spot is a product specially designed for this problem.
Appropriate dosage of CBD for dogs
It is important to give your dog the right amount of CBD for his size. Obviously, a 6 pound Yorkie will need a lot less than a 150 pound Saint Bernard. According to the Canine Journal, a safe and effective CBD dosage for dogs is 0.2 mg per pound of body weight per day. So a 10 pound dog would need 2 mg of CBD per day, while a 50 pound dog would need 10 mg of CBD per day. If you don’t know how much your dog weighs, most veterinary surgeries will allow you to use their scales for free.
Some CBD products indicate the amount of CBD per serving, like these Joy Organics CBD dog treats, which contain 2 mg of CBD per piece. Others tell you how much CBD is in the who container in general, such as American Shaman 300 mg CBD dog tincture. This product contains 300 mg of CBD in the entire vial. Since the bottle contains 30ml, you only need to divide the total CBD content by 30 to get the amount of CBD per ml; in this case, it is 10 mg per ml.
Types of CBD dog products
We have already covered some of the CBD products on the market, but it is helpful to know more about the different types available to you. Here are some of the most common options for dogs.
- Sweets. If your dog is struggling to take medication but will happily munch on any treat offered to him, this is a great option. We love HolistaPet CBD + joint and mobility care dog treats.
- Oil. These products contain CBD oil in another type of oil as a base, such as ManaBotanics Animal Hemp Drops, which contain 300 mg of CBD oil in a coconut oil base.
- Dyeing. Technically, a tincture is a mixture of CBD oil in an alcohol base, but most CBD dog products labeled as tinctures are actually oils. Dogs should not consume alcohol, so if you find alcohol-based CBD tinctures for pets, it is best to avoid them.
- Topical products. These are products such as creams and ointments, like CannaCare Topical CBD for Dogs. They are typically used for external issues, such as skin irritation, inflammation, and biting, but may offer some relief from joint pain if rubbed on the affected area.
How fast does CBD work for dogs?
It depends on the type of product offered and the problem you are looking to solve. For anxiety and fears, you might start to see soothing results in about 20 to 40 minutes for oils, such as Joy Organics CBD Oil Pet Formula. While treats, such as Petly CBD Pet Hemp CBD dog treats, take over 60-90 minutes to work.
Use coupon code PL20 to get 20% off your Petly CBD purchase!
If you give your dog CBD for chronic pain, such as arthritis, you may notice small improvements right away, but it will likely take 2 to 4 weeks of daily use to notice a marked improvement.
Finding the right dosage of CBD for your dog is easy using their weight. No matter what your dog needs CBD for, there is a product for you. If joint pain is a problem for your dog, you can also check out our Best Glucosamine for Dogs.